Friday, August 10, 2007

Friday's 5--STRESS

1. First, and before we start busting stress, what causes you the most stress, is it big things or the small stuff ?

I think what causes me the most ongoing stress is the "to do" list in my head. It is always longer than I have time to deal with. There's also some expectations wrapped up in all that--wanting to be a good Pastor, mother, wife, etc. and sometimes feeling like I do a mediocre job at all that stuff.

2. Exercise or chocolate for stress busting ( or maybe something else) ?
I love chocolate, but am finding (in my mid 30's), that it hangs around a lot more these days =). I also love exercise, so I have to make time for it. If I remember it, deep breathing helps for the really stressful moments.

3.What is your favourite music to chill out to?
I like all kinds. I have an ipod and I put anything I like on it and then hit "shuffle." I'm usually pleased with the outcome =)

4. Where do you go to chill?
Before my daughter came along, I had this Lazy boy chair I'd sit and rock in while listening to music. That doesn't work so well these days, so my chill out place is out walking at the school. I also now live in a part of the world where I can drive up into the mountains--20 minutes and I'm there. Sometimes I do that if I just need some thinking time or need to be alone.

5. Extrovert or introvert, do you relax at a party, or do you prefer a solitary walk?
It is funny that there are so many characteristics of mine that would make one think I'm an extrovert. But I am definitely an introvert. If I'm really stressed, I need that quiet walk or that ride up into the mountains.

Bonus: The deep breathing really does work. I was running late to an appointment yesterday, so rather than look at the clock and get angry at the people driving way to slow in front of me, I decided to breath. When you focus on the breath, you can really block (at least for a little while)some of the irritants that make your stress worse.

Journey on...

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Mmmmmm....mountains.....

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I agree with Mary Beth, there is something about mountains!

mandyc said...

good play - breathing is one of those basic things that always help you focus on just being while the rest of the world becomes background. what a shame we can't live like that! enjoy the new moutain access (i'm a little jealous)!

revhipchick said...

wonderful play!

i so miss having the mtns in my back yard to play in--wonderful stress relief!

lovely!

Sue said...

Great play Rochelle!

smkyqtzxtl said...

Welcome to RGBP. Breathing is important for busting stress as yur wrote, it isn't just for childbirth!

Processing Counselor said...

I do Mindfulness Meditation- John Kabet Zinn which really is just breathing and can be done anywhere and for any amount of time. Very refreshing! I know about that chocolate, althought it seems to be rampant in my office as a stress buster.