Friday, September 7, 2007

Friday's Five

Sally at revgalblogpals writes: "I am preparing this Friday 5 just before I take Chris into hospital for a cardioversion, right now we are all a little apprehensive. But this whole thing has got me thinking, so many of us are overcomers in one way or another, so many have amazing stories to tell of God's faithfulness in adversity. And so I bring you this Friday 5:"

1.Have you experienced God's faithfulness at a difficult time? Tell as much or as little as you like...
Oh my goodness...there have been several times when God's faithfulness has brought me through difficulty. I think the most painful was when I was 23 and my fiance broke off our engagement just 2 months before the wedding. I didn't know then that it was the best thing--that someone for me was waiting out there--all I knew was that I felt crushed. It was a hard situation because we were both in Seminary and both living in the same Seminary housing complex, so I could not get away. The stress of the situation exacerbated a neurological condition that I have--dystonia--causing my head to shake and get stuck in a posturing position.

I think that was a time in my life when I felt just utterly miserable.

2. Have you experienced a dark night of the soul, if so what brought you through?
I think that breakup threw me into the dark night of the soul. The three things that brought me through: faith, family and wonderful friends.

3. Share a Bible verse, song, poem that has brought you comfort?
Psalm 121 was a Biblical balm. The words to the Indigo Girls song Ghost became my lament.

4. Is "why suffering" a valid question?
I don't know if it is a "logical" question, but it seems to be primal. We naturally ask "why?" so there must be some reason for it.

5. And on a lighter note- you have reached the end of a dark and difficult time- how are you going to celebrate?
About 5 years after that breakup, I decided to do something positive in my life. So I joined the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society's Team in Training Program and ran my 1st marathon--and it was through that experience that I met the love of my life.

Journey on....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, I love your number 5! We can come through to the other side.
Thanks for your comment over at my blog!

Sally said...

Interesting how serving others can bring us out of ourselves- thank you for sharing such personal and deep things.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Thanks for a great post...and running a marathon. WOW!