Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Are You Saved?

As a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), one of the things I prize about our identity is our sense of tolerance. One of the sayings from Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the church, is: "In Essentials Unity, in Non-Essentials Liberty, in all things Charity."

I like the statement because it asserts that there are essentials of the faith that are non-negotiable and then there are non-essentials that are open for debate and discussion. And when we debate and discuss, we try to do so with an air of respect and tolerance for diverging views and opinions.

But what do you do when you have a hard time distinguishing essentials from non-essentials...what do you do when you have a difficult time tolerating those who are intolerant?

I have a hard time tolerating those who reject the legitimacy of women in ministry. I have a hard time tolerating those who simplify complex issues with one-liners and refuse to think or research the subject which the speak against. I have a hard time tolerating Christians who think that the most important aspect of faith is being saved by confessing Jesus as Christ. Am I sounding intolerant yet?

I guess recognizing areas of intolerance is the first step in opening the door to new learning and understanding. I must say that I really am annoyed by Christians who think that they have "saved" someone because they led that person to say with their lips, "I believe that Jesus is the Christ...my personal Lord and Savior."

I am annoyed not because I think that such confession is non-essential, but because I think that faith is about being and doing...about confession and action. This week I will be preaching from Galatians 2:11-21 and in that text, I am convicted of my intolerance toward my brothers and sisters who hold confession of faith as the primary essential.

The Apostle Paul says: "we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. " And what Paul is saying is that it is not strict adherence to the law that will make us justified before God, but believing in Jesus--salvation by grace through faith. Okay...so confession in Jesus is really important. But is the confession alone all that is needed. Can I say, "I believe in Jesus Christ" and go on with life as usual resting assured that I have been "saved?"

No. Paul goes on to say: "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. " Belief in Christ...belief that is felt at the core of one's being...changes life. Paul not only confesses Christ with his lips, but he lives by faith in the Son of God.

So it is not enough for me to say that I love my church tradition because it professes to be tolerant, I better start living that way too--even when it means tolerating that which I find intolerant.

Journey on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this, Rochelle, and I love your denomination. I live in Texas where there are so few UCC's that I had NEVER heard of it until I started hanging out online with the RevGals.

I was thinking of the Church of Christ...which means something VERY different, at least here! Yikes!

Glad to know you.

Rochelle said...

Ahh...so you're UCC. I'm finding much more of you up here in the NW. Yes...discipledom is small, but a great goup =).

Glad to know you too. I have to get over to your blog and leave a comment or two there =)