Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rattle, Thunder, Clap!

The other day we had two rounds of thunderstorms in our area. When I lived in TX, I was used to those kinds of storms, but it never storms like that here. My child was upstairs watching TV, when a flash of lightening struck very close by, followed by a ground-shaking boom.

B screamed instantly. I think it was the first time B had heard a noise that loud. There were tears and then the persistent question, "is the fire coming back?" I guess that flash did look like fire.

We're just not accustomed to that kind of commotion anymore. And when something like that happens, we have to alter our plans, maybe do things a little more differently than we might have. I was working on something downstairs when that happened, but ended up spending the next hour or so cuddling with B. And that was okay.

I wonder, though, as the pastor of a long-established church, is it truly possible to alter plans...do things differently than we might have? I catch myself becoming entrenched in my own way of thinking and then realize that I need to be open to other possibilities, but I know that is not easy.

I guess the key is to try to focus on God, remembering the words of Christ, "apart from me, you can do nothing." And in Christ, all things are made possible, right?

Journey on...

1 comment:

rev h-d said...

Rochelle,
Thanks for your prayers. I glad to hear I'm not the only bluebonnet trying to make it away from home :) My daughter has a hard time with thunder storms too. I guess it must be hard on someone so little to realize that other things are soo big! Everytime she hears thunder she runs to us and says "God is playing the drums really loud!" Thanks again and blessings!