Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Are you a reptile?

I saw a funny quote next to a picture of a chameleon with buggly eyes that said, "a reptile can focus on two things at the same time...you are not a reptile." Good advice for those of us living in a world that prizes...no idolizes multi-tasking.



We can't really help it because there are so many expectations placed on us and we feel we have to try to meet all of them. But, as I often like to say, "if my fingers are on everything, my grasp in on nothing."



Still, I (and am I'm sure many people) struggle with focusing on one thing at a time. This morning I got up early and went to the YMCA to workout and had a little unexpected lesson on focus. I thought I'd try one of those pre-programmed sessions on the treadmill. Maybe I won't do that again.



As you grasp the bar on the treadmill, it measures your heart rate--not always accurately, I might add. So every time, my heart rate was below where it should be, the machine would increase the incline and speed. At one point I looked down and the monitor said my heart rate was 76 bpm. NO WAY! I couldn't even talk. I was so focused on not passing out that before I knew it (or before I could jump off and ask for help), the work out was over.



Focusing on something not only makes a task go by quicker, but can help us get through things that seem impossible or overwhelming. Sometimes, I am overwhelmed by the church...I am overwhelmed by theology, by the many practical questions and issues that come up, by the varied expectations that different people have of me. I struggle between pastoring my flock and seeking out care for myself.



But one word that brings me back into focus is grace. I know I have to do my part, that there is work for me to do. But I also know, when I focus on God's grace...when I let down my guard and let God in, that my efforts are good enough and God takes over the rest.



I am not a reptile. That's for sure. But thank God for grace that reminds of what the true focus in life really is.



Journey on...

No comments: