Monday, December 3, 2007

One Sock

I heard a story on the NPR the other day about a dog who had eaten close to 100 pairs of socks. That dog must know my dog. Our dog, for a while now, has gotten in the habit of digging in the laundry basket and pulling out our socks. At first he'd just nibble on them, but then he started taking big chunks out of them and now some of them just disappear (and sometimes reappear later--ewwwww!).

My dog's sock eating habit is annoying at best and maddening at worst. I now own a big bag of orphaned socks and am often frustrated because I cannot find socks for me or for my child as we are rushing through our mornings to get dressed.

But I realized something the other day...you really can put two slightly mismatched socks together and they still work! What I, having grown up in the land of plenty, failed to realize is that there are people in the world who would love to have my bag of mismatched socks because they still have plenty of wear left in them.

In this time of shopping for Christmas gifts and excessive giving, I am trying to simplify more and stress less...trying to remember to be thankful for the less-than-obvious gifts that are in front of me everyday.

So my socks don't match, but I do have socks and my feet are warm on this cold, rainy day. Thank you God.

Journey On...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder this time of year! As I was dressing Isaac this morning, I decided that second children get the first two socks I can find whether they match or not.