Monday, December 17, 2007

Wait

What does it mean to wait? I have really been living into this during Advent this year. Most of the time I'm just rushing around trying to get all the "must dos" done. But this year, we are staying in WA and not traveling...we don't have family coming and I am actually finding myself having a more meaningful Advent because I'm not waiting to go somewhere or waiting for the guests to arrive. I have even given myself permission this year to not send out a mass mailing of Christmas cards which has taken one thing off of my plate. And so without quite as many distractions, the notion of waiting has really sunk in this year.

This past Sunday was the Sunday when we light the candle of Joy on the Advent wreath and the think about Mary in particular. For some reason the weight of her plight has really hit home with me this year. I remember what it was like to be 9 months pregnant, waiting for something to happen...but for some reason that kind of anticipation has not really been a part of my past Advent experiences.

But this year I am thinking about that kind of pregnant waiting...the time when you know that something is going to happen, you just don't know when. Yesterday I preached on Isaiah 35: 1-10 and talked about how people who are in the midst of difficulties long for something different...they hang onto the promise that life will be better tomorrow. But sometimes it is not tomorrow, or the next day, or the next year, or the next decade. Sometimes promises take a long time to be fulfilled.

But maybe what I'm picking up on this Advent is that promises are eventually fulfilled...it is truly not a matter of if, but a matter of when. So this Advent has been filled with the pregnant possibility that God is up to something that will be revealed someday. Although I don't completely understand God's time, I know that it is not a matter of if...only a matter of when.

Journey On...

7 comments:

Terri said...

Rochelle, I am formally introducing your blog to the revgals tomorrow, Mon. 12/31. Welcome!

Katherine E. said...

Rochelle! Welcome to Revgals! How neat to be able to welcome someone I know! (hope you remember me from Brite).

I didn't realize you were in Washington state now. Wow, I envy you that.

Looking forward to your reflections in 2008, Rochelle

Jan said...

Welcome to RevGals, Rochelle! You and I have an opposite moving story--I grew up in Washington State and have lived off and on in Corpus Christi, TX for the past 30 years. That's where I live now. I'd love to know where you're living in WA--my husband and I are from Bellingham.

Muthah+ said...

Welcome, Rochelle. I am an Epsicopal priest working in ELCA parish. Welcome to revgals. You know my hometown, Ft. Worth. Come by and visit at foraseason.blogspot.com.

April said...

Welcome to Revgals! I'm a DOC in Illinois. Glad to see you here.

seethroughfaith said...

welcome to RevGalsand Pals

Washington State is lovely - we visited there a few years ago - all the way from Europe :)

Unknown said...

Welcome to you!