Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Belated Blogging

We had out of town guests visit for the weekend and so I spent my time with them (and doing a funeral and Sunday services)...which is why I am behind on my blogging =).

As I read Isaiah 9: 1-4 and Psalm 27, I was really struck by the image of light. Both passages seem to speak about better days for those who have been through some pretty rough days. I particularly like Isaiah 9:2--"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who live in a land of deep darkness--on them light has shined."

As I read this, I was reflecting on the incredibly unusual weather we've had here in Western Washington the last 24 hours. The skies have been completely and utterly clear (not even one little cloud in the sky). This is really weird for winter--usually it is cloudy, maybe raining, and a bit warmer.

But what the clear skies have afforded is an unbelievable view of the mountains and a visual reminder of the majestic beauty of this place. My daughter and I sat in the warmth of our house last night and stared at the biggest brightest almost full moon we've ever seen. It was so bright that Mt. Rainier was visible in the darkness. This morning was so clear that the snow covered mountains of the Olympic Peninsula were also visible (with the moon suspended overhead).

I have said that it is, in a way, a gift not to be able to see the mountains all of the time--that way we don't ever take them for granted. But in the throes of winter...in the darkest, coldest of days, a little light would be nice.

This break in our weather has reminded me of what lies beyond the veil of clouds...that something wonderful and beautiful is there, even if I can't always see it.

The words of Isaiah and the Psalmist remind me of a similar lesson--that the beauty of God is always present, even if I can't always see it. It is a reminder that even in the darker days, God is present, waiting to show forth light and hope.

Journey On...

No comments: