Wednesday, January 16, 2008

When I first read I Corinthians 1: 1-9 , I am thinking that perhaps it doesn't relate to me because the person of whom Paul speaks sounds so perfect. What's even more, it seems as though Paul is not speaking to/about an individual, but to/about an entire church--an entire church "has knowledge of every kind...is not lacking in any spiritual gift." Wow! That is quite a picture.

I have no idea how big the church at Corinth was, but any group of people (small or large) can become rather complicated. Individuals have their own history, background, likes and dislikes that rarely coincide with other individuals in the group. And how that all comes together and works as a whole is a mystery to me...but then again, it is not.

Paul says that the positive attributes of this worshipping community do not originate in its human participants, but rather as a gift from God. It is God's gracious activity in Jesus Christ, shared with this community that brings wisdom and spiritual gifts.

As human beings (individuals and communities), we have the great potential for doing great things, but we also have the potential of being snared by our all-to-human selves. And so, it is good to remember that God is there to help...that there is a power greater than our own that can strengthen us and carry us through. And God is there in the mystery...holding together disparate groups of people, transforming them into faithful communities that witness to Jesus Christ. Thanks be to God!

Journey On...

1 comment:

Terri said...

We are indeed complicated individuals and communities...and we comlicate our own lives when we think we are supposed to be perfect instead of human...it's taken me a long while to like myself for who I am and not who I think I ought to be based on some standard of perfection...interesting reflection...