Friday, November 16, 2007

Friday Five--Thinking About These Things

Songbird at RevGalBlogPals writes: Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8, NRSV)

Friends, it's nearly Thanksgiving in the U.S. and it's the time of year when we are pressed to name things for which we are thankful. I want to offer a twist on the usual lists and use Paul's letter to the church at Philippi as a model.

Name five things that are true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable, excellent or worthy of praise. These could be people, organizations, acts, ideas, works of art, pieces of music--whatever comes to mind for you.

1.) I was just blogging about the grief recovery groups that I am leading. I think those people who are willing to come and work the process of grief are true and commendable in so many ways. To be open and honest about grief in this culture is not easy--they are an inspirational to me.

2.) I think the Heifer Project is worthy of praise for the work that it does in trying to create just and sustainable communities.

3.) What is pleasing to me is my family and friends. Particularly my husband and daughter. I never knew unconditional love (outside of God's love) until I met that wonderful man I call my husband.

4.) There are people at my church who are commendable for the amount of time and effort they put into the mission and ministry of the church. I also think the women of RevGals are all commendable for the effort they put into the organization and the thoughts, prayers and ideas that are shared.

5.) I was writing about Kiva in my sermon for this week...which makes me think of the Grameen Bank and Dr. Yunus. What commendable, amazing work!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the kind words about RevGals!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

i saw a news story re:kiva not too long ago... amazing what can happen when we live together and not separate hmmm?

Sally said...

KIVA is awasome- thanks for a great list.

j said...

SO pleased to find your blog, and I loved your play! I'll be back!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Ditto to 2. 3. and 4.!

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Wow. I had never heard of Kiva --that's awesome.

I share your love of the Heifer project also.

Cathy said...

I would think that the folks who attend the grief recovery are thankful for you also.